- 6 small red or yellow potatoes
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the masher
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (maybe more!)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Bacon pieces
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a medium sauce pan of salted water, cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Brush a potato masher with olive oil and press to flatten the potatoes halfway. Rotate the masher halfway and flatten more. Brush the masher with oil as you go to prevent sticking.
Generously brush the tops of the potatoes with more olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until brown and crisp around the edges, about 15 minutes.
Top each potato with cheese, sour cream, bacon pieces, and green onions.