- 1/2 pound pasta of your choice
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used spicy)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small package frozen onions and colored bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly grated Parmesan for serving (I forgot this and it was still so good!)
Boil pasta. Meanwhile brown the sausage, crumbling. Remove from skillet. To same skillet add olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter. Cook onions and peppers. After onions are sautéed well, add garlic and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cook 1 more minute.
Sprinkle flour over evenly and stir 1 minute. Stir in cream and Dijon mustard. Sauce will thicken quickly, so only cook 1-2 minutes. Add sausage back to skillet.
Before draining the pasta, reserve some of the pasta water. I added 3 tablespoons of it to the sausage mixture. Serve over pasta. Top with cheese.