- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sour cream (or ricotta, crème fraiche, or mascarpone)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound extra sharp cheddar (I used an 8 ounce block of both yellow and white)
- 1/2 pound uncooked elbow pasta
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Position the oven rack in the top third of the oven. Blend sour cream or alternative cheese with mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Reserve 1/4 cup of the grated cheese for topping. Mix in the rest of the cheese with the milk mixture. Pour into pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and remove foil. Top with remaining cheese and butter cubes. Bake 30 more minutes until browned.