- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound lasagna noodles broken into pieces, reserve 1 cup pasta water (I actually used bow tie since I had it on hand)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small purple onion, minced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups marinara sauce (from your favorite jar)
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add Italian sausage and cook, crumbling. Once almost cooked through add remaining olive oil and butter with the onion. Cook until onion is soft. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute more.
Meanwhile cook pasta in salted water.
While everything is cooking mix the ricotta cheese in a small bowl with the Italian seasoning and kosher salt.
Add sauce to meat mixture. Let simmer. Add Italian cheese and stir to melt. Add drained pasta and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water.
Pour into large sheet pan with sides. Spread evenly to thin out as much as possible. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top. Drop the ricotta mixture by the large spoonful around. Do not mix. Bake for 25 minutes. Top should be crispy!
Recipe adapted from Giadzy, shared with me by Brittany Greer.